Master of Theology
The ThM provides MDiv and MATS graduates the opportunity to pursue research study in biblical and theological studies that will enhance their ministries and/or provide a foundation for PhD studies.
Applicants must have completed an MDiv or a two-year MA degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution, ordinarily with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
The ThM curriculum requires 24 hours as outlined below. The degree can be completed in as little as two years of part-time study.
- At least one ThM seminar and three electives in the student’s major field (biblical or theological studies)
- At least one-half of the work in 800-level courses or 900-level DMin Norms courses, with remaining work selected from 700-level courses in biblical or theological studies (with additional requirements), or advanced (fourth-semester) work in biblical Greek or Hebrew
- A thesis of 25,000-35,000 words or two additional courses approved by the Th.M. director (six hours)
- Completion of the non-credit Research Methods course
- Demonstrated competence in two relevant ancient or modern languages
- A comprehensive examination