Cathy Sparks is a Licensed Professional Counselor, a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, and a Registered Play Therapist. She has been in practice for 34 years and specializes in children and adolescent therapy. She has been teaching post secondary counseling and therapy for 20 years. Her husband is a retired pastor and both of their sons are in ministry.
Education and Credentials
- EdD (educational leadership), Liberty University
- MEd (elementary school counseling), University of South Carolina
- Educational specialist (marriage and family Therapy), Converse College
- Professional Counselor and supervisor (LPC, LPC/S)
- Marriage and Family Therapist and Supervisor (LMFT, LMFT/S)
- Registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S)
- “The importance of play for infant and toddler mental health.” Early Years Bulletin 5 (3), 2018.
- “A Pilot Study on the Relationship of a Play Intervention with Disadvantaged Parents,” presentation at USC Upstate Research Symposium, 2018.
- “Helping adolescent parents understand the importance of play with their infants and toddlers.” Early Years Bulletin 5 (2), 2017.
- Filial Therapy with Adolescent Parents: The Effects on Empathy, Acceptance, and Stress. Dissertation, Liberty University, 2010.
Experience and Ministry
- Family Therapist, Middle Tiger Community Center, Lyman, SC
- Adjunct Professor, Capella University
- Child and Adolescent Behavioral Task Force
- Educational and counseling ministries missions, Buff Bay, Jamaica