Dr. Johnson is a popular preacher and inspiring classroom teacher. He particularly enjoys taking students and other groups to study Reformation church history in Germany. He serves as an elder in the Presbyterian Church in America.
Education and Credentials
- PhD (Reformation–early and modern European history), Georgia State University
- MA (American history), Florida Atlantic University
- MA (historical theology), Covenant Theological Seminary
- John Knox: An Introduction to His Life and Works (co-author). Wipf & Stock, 2009.
- “God’s Controversy with (Old) England: John Knox and the Puritan Jeremiad,” Calvin Colloquium,
- “Slim and None: John Knox’s Contributions to the Geneva Bible.” Adaptations of Calvinism in Reformation Europe: Essays in Honor of Brian G. Armstrong. Ashgate, England, 2007.
- “Serving Two Masters: John Knox, Scripture and Prophecy.” Religion and Superstition in Reformation Europe. Manchester University Press, 2002.
Experience and Ministry
- Professor of Church History, Erskine Theological Seminary
- Ruling elder and pulpit supply, Calhoun Falls Presbyterian Church (PCA)
- Reformation Heritage Study Tour, teaching Reformation on-site in Germany and Prague